Earlier this year, Pantone announced its 2021 Colors of the Year, Ultimate Gray and Illuminating. This is only the second time since the company began dedicating a color to each year that two colors were chosen, the first being in 2016.
Ultimate Gray is a medium gray hue that represents strength, resilience and dependability. Illuminating is a cheery yellow meant to spark creativity, warmth and happiness. Since the announcement of this year’s shades, designers, decorators and DIYers have been working to figure out how to incorporate Pantone’s 2021 Colors of the Year into everything from home décor to fashion. We have some great ideas on how you can update your home to include both of these tones.
Bringing Ultimate Gray And Illuminating Into Your Home
To bring the contrasting but complementary colors into your home, try one or more of these decorating ideas:
- Start small. Try out the colors with small updates like throw pillows, blankets, wall art and other accessories without spending too much time or money.
- Incorporate them in your kitchen. Ultimate Gray is a timeless neutral that looks great on cabinets. It looks great with yellow, but also easily pairs with other colors and styles should you want to change things up in the future. Pulling in Illuminating yellow to your table, chairs or flatware will add bright contrast to the gray.
- Layer them into your bathroom. Gray makes a great wall color, backsplash or even floor choice. Add in splashes of yellow with towels, rugs and countertop accessories.
- Use Illuminating in your kid’s rooms. The bright and cheerful yellow makes a great color for a playroom or child’s bedroom and provides a neutral backdrop for other colors as well.
- Brighten your front door. Either color could work for a front door depending on the color of your home, but yellow is welcoming and will stand out beautifully with a gray house. You can also add white trim to emphasize the contrast.
- Bring it outside. If you are redoing your deck, go with gray stain or materials for a modern look. Incorporate yellow with an umbrella, cushions, flowers and other accents.
How We Can Help
We can help you redecorate or renovate your home with products in the Illuminating and Ultimate Gray color family:
- We carry both Trex and TimberTech which offer gray coloring options.
- We have a variety of other brands also available upon request.
- Minwax offers tintable stains in a variety of gray hues that would be great for decking, furniture or cabinets.
- Penofin’s Storm stain is the perfect twin for Ultimate Gray.
We offer services including kitchen, bath and deck design, custom paint tinting and color matching as well as onsite consultations to help you get any job done. Contact us today to learn how we can help.